Monday, March 21, 2011

Is Bigger Better?

Supersized meals.  King sized candy bars.  Extended SUVs and trucks.  Super Big Gulp.  McMansions.  Upgraded vacation packages.  It seems like you can always go bigger.

But is bigger actually better?

Jonny and I do want a big family.  That is one thing where, for us, bigger is better.  If/when that other kid comes along we will need one thing that is bigger.  A bigger car.  I can't fit 3 car seats in my backseat and at the rate Ally is growing she'll be in a car seat until she goes to college. 

The question of bigger house comes up time and time again.  Our house is plenty big.  We have 3 bedrooms, living room and dining room, and a study with a closet that could easily be converted into an extra room.  Right now Alyssa has a room and James has a room.  When guests stay Baby James gets kicked out of his room.  Should we have a guest room?  Where would baby #3 sleep?  Do we need equal number of rooms as there are kids?

This past weekend we were driving through small farm towns between Houston and Austin.  There  are tiny humble homes and double wides on a nice plot of land.  Most of their yards are scattered with toys, bikes, swing sets, and other evidence that there are children around.  It seemed happy and fun!  It got me to thinking...

Since when does every kid need their own room?  Why can't kids share a room like Jonny had to and my brothers had to?  Why do kids need a play room?  There were 4 kids in my family and not one play room. 

One of the things that really drew us to this house was how open it was.  It draws people together.  It's great for entertaining.  Living room and dining room are open to each other.  You can see each of these rooms from the kitchen.  It will force our family to be together.  I won't have to use an intercom to tell my kids dinner is ready.  I won't have to search thousands and thousands of square feet  for a lost shoe or Lovey.  There are only so many places it could be.  Of course, we want to give our kids everything.  What parent doesn't?  But  who's to say that the bond and love formed by siblings sharing a room isn't everything? 

So, our house may be a little crowded, but it'll be full of love and fun! 


3 comments:

  1. Great post! Glenn and I have had the same conversation. Neither he or his sisters had to share a room growing up, but I did. When we got our house he was concerned that IF we have a third, two of the kids will have to share a room. I told him "they'll live...just like I did" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Rebecca!!! I've accepted that our #3 i not in foreseeable future and I now plan on moving Liza to Henry's room as soon as she starts sleeping better so we *can* have a playroom. I like the idea of them sharing rooms when they are little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, my brother and I did share a room until I had another brother and it made more sense to have a "boys" room. If there is a baby #3 we'll probably have James and Ally share a room so the one that's up all night long will have his/her own room.

    ReplyDelete