Monday, February 7, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers

My baby brother, Drew,  graduated from Texas Tech in May.  He decided to stay in Lubbock, TX and at his current job until he figures out what he'd like to do.  I imagine it is hard to live in a college town and not be a college student.  Frankly, he was feeling a little down.  So, he does what any normal 24 year old would do...volunteers at the hospital and visits sick kids!

Drew is so kind and truly wants to make people happy.  His glass is always half full.  Drew visits kids and reads to them, makes balloon animals or just sits and talks.  He feels like he's not doing enough.  I'm here to say that sometimes the simplest things can make all the difference especially to kids.  When Alyssa had her tonsils removed she had to stay the night.  We had a few volunteers come into her room.  One lady brought her animal crackers and magazines for me and the other ones brought in therapy dogs.  She loved loved loved the doggies.

Anyway, it got me to thinking...what can I do?  What can I do to help Drew help kids?  So, I'm going to collect things:  coloring books, DVDs, books, toys, puzzles, etc. to send to Drew to take to the kiddos in the hospital.  Do you have anything to donate?  I'll gladly gather things to send to Drew.  Or you could volunteer at a hospital near you.  Whatever you do try to do something completely selfless to help someone else.  Leave it to my youngest brother to inspire me!

No comments:

Post a Comment