Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What I Learned in Elementary School...

...was NOT executed well today.  You know, Stop, Drop and Roll, feel the door to check if it's hot, crawl so you don't inhale smoke, all those things they tell you to do if the smoke alarm goes off.

Here's a little background:  We had rolling blackouts today to conserve energy.  Apparently, Texas is not equipped to handle the icy tundra the Arctic storm brought.   Anytime we loose power for longer than a minute or so our smoke detectors go off.  It's loud and annoying and they won't quit until the power comes back!!!!  Today, they went off for about 45 minutes every few hours.

The first blackout happened around 6:30 am.  I heard the babies' monitors shut off and the sound of the power going out.  We were having such strong wind I thought nothing of it really.  Then, the detectors went crazy waking up two peacefully sleeping babes. 

I jumped out of bed and ran to their rooms.  With a baby on each hip, I frantically searched the house to see if there really was a fire, Daisy following close behind.  I'd like to say in the back of my mind I knew it had to do with the power outage, but I probably would've reacted the exact same way if it really was a fire. 

Eh...what can I say, mama bear has to protect her babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment