Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Heart Remembers

I remember my Granny as the warmest, most accepting woman I know.  She had the world's biggest open door policy.  She told everyone, even people she'd just met, that the back door was always open (and unlocked!) and they were always welcome.  The thing about Granny is, she meant it.  She was always happy to host people.  There was always room at her dinner table for one more.  She also always told me that everything would be okay.  And something in her voice was always reassuring that it really would be okay.  I remember getting ready for my reception and my hair wasn't quite ready and I was already running behind.  She told me not to worry about it and if I needed to I could always pull it up into a bun and it would be beautiful.  Instant calm.  That's my Granny. 

Sadly, she is suffering from advanced Alzheimers.  Now days, she rarely opens her eyes all the way.  She often doesn't know how to do simple tasks such as feed herself.  She definitely doesn't know who I am...much less who my children are.  Still, it was extremely important that she meet James.  I know she doesn't know how exactly these babies are connected to her, but she knows that these babies are hers.

Granny meets Alyssa Lee Osborne a week after she was born.

4 generations of girls.

Granny and Popa with Alyssa in August 2008

Granny with her daughter and great-grandchildren.

Granny meets James in January 2011

4 generations again in Januray 2011

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca - that was a beautiful blog. You caught the way Granny lived her life perfectly.

    ReplyDelete