Monday, January 24, 2011

Toddler "School"

My bff, Jenny, and I were discussing the newest interests of our young children.  For example, Ally will sing her ABCs, color, or swing all day long.  Ian will play cars/trains or play outside all day any day.  Alyssa recognizes the alphabet (upper case only), but is just now starting to count and only knows the quantities of one and two.  All other numbers could be any amount.  Ian knows way more numbers and quantities, but only recognizes a few letters.

We got together and had a wonderful idea!  Once a week we would alternate houses and teach our kiddos a letter or a number, etc.  They play incredibly well together (we joke they're boyfriend/girlfriend).  It would be an opportunity for them to learn.  And (best of all) it'd give us a free morning every other week when the kiddos are at the other person's house.

Ms. Jenny went first with the letter A.  They made alligators and colored apples.  Ally was having a moment when I tried to drop her off so, I ended up staying.  The kids played and Jenny and I chatted.  It was great!

The next week, Ian and Evan came to our house.  I had great B activities planned.  We were going to read books about bees, give bears baths, make a bumblebee out of the letter b.  I was so excited.  They wanted nothing to do with it.  Ian and Ally wanted to take turns playing in the cozy coupe and Evan wanted to gather anything soft and cuddly.

Oh well.  We'll keep trying.  I made Ally do the craft the next morning anyway :)  Here is her Bumblebee B and her Alligator A.



No comments:

Post a Comment